Small business is big business. “Small establishments [i.e., businesses with fewer than 100 employees] make up over 97 percent of all establishments in the nation” (source: Bureau of Labor Statistics). “Entrepreneurship plays a vital role in the growth of the U.S. economy” (source: Bureau of Labor Statistics).
When micro-business entrepreneurship – self-employment – is the means for taking charge of your career and when you are ready to grow to the next level, I provide the mental clarity and management necessary for business development.
Strategic planning services:
- Needs clarification
- Small business development
- Project management
Market research services:
- General market research
- Formal qualitative and quantitative market research
- Feasibility studies
- Market analysis
- Competitive intelligence
My professional background – as a writer and market research consultant with an MBA – spans business, politics (Regional Field Director for a now-former resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue), university teaching (business and media studies), social services, and promoting public volunteerism in prisons. One way or another, I have always advocated for people’s ability to achieve more via increased self-agency. These days, I am involved in business start-ups, focusing particularly on supporting people’s self-agency through self-employment. Writing, research, and generating clarity have been continued threads interwoven through my professional activities.
I am the author of Competitive Intelligence Workbook (2001) and numerous business articles and reports – including a report quoted in a bill that made it to committee in the 110th U.S. Congress. Businesses of various sizes have made strategic decisions based on market research studies I’ve conducted. I was also the lead author on a study about mentoring of current and formerly incarcerated individuals. A list of my publications is listed here.
My most significant recent writing includes:
- An article series entitled “Personal Application of Marketing Principles.” Order these from me in pdf format here. Also, the flagship article for this series, “Agents of Success: Moving Forward Professionally” is available via Amazon Kindle.
- A biography of my Irish great-great grandmother, Harriet Susannah Ellis . Co-written with Brian Ellis in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
Defining characteristics of my writing:
- Experienced provider of research studies. Well-written reports have been “part of the package.”
- An articulate, business get-to-the-point style that emulates educational communication techniques and the clarity of technical writing.
- I see the whole picture of an activity or process and connect the dots of how to clearly convey all aspects of grasping and communicating a topic.
- Clients get what they need and expect: format, style, audience, content.
I also deliver periodic public presentations, such as:
- Seattle author presentations: Fall, 2016
- Whatcom County Bar Association: 2012
- Cascadia “Corrections and Communities” Conference hosted by University of Oregon UNESCO Chair: 2011
- NYIT, Vancouver Campus – “Reflections on the 2008 Presidential Election”: 2010
- Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals – national conferences: Orlando 2006, New York 2007
- Idaho State University, University of Texas: 2001
Visit my Twitter account.
I am in Seattle, Washington, USA. Contact me:
- Phone: (206) 525-5056
- Email at burkhardtwrites [at] gmail.com